Sunday, July 19, 2009

Attention Astronomers & Astronomy Students, and Star Buffs

[EDIT: Also see my follow-up post.]

I need your help!

I want to know if this is a good time to rebuild my back deck. I'm an Aries.

HA! Kidding. Don't summon down meteors on me.

Some of you may have heard about the Star Party we're doing the night before Dragon*Con starts. In addition to raising money for the American Cancer Society, we are trying to build up enthusiasm for astronomy itself. (Personally, I can't remember not being excited about astronomy, and I've spent the last 20 years kicking myself for not studying it. Arieses are like that.)

If you're not coming to the Star Party, and you're working in the field, or studying it, or are a space alien, this is what I need:

Get in front of a web cam somehow, introduce yourself, and spend about 5 minutes telling us something about your experience with The Black. It can be something you're passionate about, something that moves you, something that surprised you, something that scared the CRAP out of you, anything like that. I'll take these videos and we'll show them during the event to the people there. (I'll also put them online afterwards.)

So, if you're interested in doing this, I am interested in getting it :) Please record something and get it to me by 8/28, so I have time to set it all up. I have an FTP site available where you can upload them (contact me for details).

Thanks all!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll pass your request around my department. :-)

Christian Walters said...

Thanks Noisy :)

When you mention it, be sure to rub it in that you are going and they are not. Also toss in a "mwah ha ha ha"

Anonymous said...

http://tinyurl.com/no55ez

Maybe not what you want, but what the hell.

Carol Dawn said...

I love stargazing but don't do it on any regular basis. I took basic astronomy as my science in college. If it had not been for my absolute terror of math, I might have become an astronomer! I have a very important question: what is dragon*con?

Unknown said...

http://www.dragoncon.org/

Unknown said...

My webcam is awfully weak-sauce....could I produce something with a little higher production values?